Thursday, April 26, 2012

Baby Steps

I have always been more of a New Testament reader; however, over the past couple of years, I have tried to dig into the Old Testament. Recently, I read the book of Ruth. Ruth finds herself in a really awful position because her husband has died, and in those days this meant being poor and destitute for the rest of your life…unless you marry your late husband's brother. Yes, that sounds very weird to me, tooJ. You know Ruth had to feel sad and hopeless, but she just kept living and obeying God day by day. This serves as such a reminder to me that as Christians we don't have to think too far down the road. We just have to say "yes" to God in this moment, this day, this week, this year. Jesus says in Luke 16:10, "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." We cannot control the future, but we are held accountable for whether or not we are obedient in the present. This means doing the right thing in the small/every day. In my life this can be me saying, “At this moment, I will choose to have a gentle tone with my kids. At this moment, I will not say negative things about others. At this moment, I will forgive. At this moment, I will spend time with my kids instead of cleaning. At this moment, I will give into my alarm clock and get up to have time with Jesus instead of sleeping. In this moment, I will put someone else’s interests above my own. At this moment, I will not be easily offended.” I think people are afraid to make a commitment to Christ because they feel like they can never measure up. Obeying God in the small adds up to obeying him in the big, and it makes living the Christian life a lot less overwhelming and daunting.
Here are some pictures our sweet peas on Easter.









No comments:

Post a Comment